Monday, April 22, 2013

Final Presentations

     It was wonderful getting the chance to watch everyone present. When we were asked to pick a topic and write it on the yellow piece of paper that was passed around, it was difficult to narrow down what I wanted to focus on. It felt as though we all had difficulties choosing what to focus on. For me, my topic was similar to the clouds we discussed earlier in the semester. It was constantly shifting, changing from one form to another. Finally my focus was narrowed to what I present to you here. Even though I am submitting my final product, is it really final? No.
     For me, this is just the beginning. The ideas I had when we were asked to write down what we wanted to focus on are still on my mind. There is so much more to say and do, yet so little time. Dr. Sexson stated earlier in the semester never to ask, "are we there yet," because the end will always come. Right now that statement holds more value than ever before. The end is within reach, but I don't want to reach for it, I need more time.
     We were all asked, "why are you here?" in a presentation the other day. That question hit close to home for me. I started college in 1997, 18 and ready for a change in life. The new found freedom was amazing. I could do what I want without any care of consequence. That is just what I did, nothing. I drank too much and smoked way too much weed with no care of the outcome. My grades reflected it and was asked by MSU to take some time off. I passed two of the 10 classes I took my freshman year. So I took some time for myself.
     Over the next 12-15 years, I made poor attempts at going back to school. It usually started out just fine, but when things got difficult, I folded, withdrew, dropped, or just stopped going and failed. I have wasted a lot of time, money and energy; but that does not matter. For the first time, I am ready to continue my education and it feels good.
     Everyone always tells me to take my time, go at your own pace......Oh, I have. Trust me. But I am finally seeing the end to what I set out to accomplish so many years ago. It was something I have wanted for a long time and I will finally finish my goal.
     Although it may not be wanted, listened to or most importantly not my place, I am going to offer advice to the gentleman who asked us the question.  Do what makes you happy. Play your guitar with your friends. Spend your time in the mountains. Live the way you want to, and do it for yourself. If you see no reason to go to school right now, don't. You are obviously intelligent and can accomplish anything you put your mind to. Focus on what brings you happiness and go for it. If you decide to give school another crack, great. If not, no worries. Just do what you want and do it for yourself. Sorry if I am out of line, but I respect wanting to do what is best for you.
     
    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment